Originally I(Ben) was going to make the omelet and my sister(Abbie) was going to make the apple sauce. Abbie spent the night at a friend's house and stayed up real late. Then she had a D.A.R.E. camp to go to, so she never woke up to make the apple sauce, leaving me with the omelet and the sauce.
Here is the recipe for the Apple Puffy Omelet!
This is for the sauce.
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2/3 cup cold water
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 apples, peeled, cored, and cut in 1/2in thick wedges
2 tablespoons butter
To prepare sauce, combine brown sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Stir in the 2/3 cup of cold water and lemon juice. Cook quickly, stirring constantly, till thickened and bubbly. Add apples; stir gently. Cover and simmer gently for 3 to 5 minutes or till apples are tender. Add the 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir till butter melts.
For the omelet you'll need.
4 egg whites
2 tablespoons of water
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon of butter
- Beat egg whites till frothy
- Add water and salt; continue beating about one and a half minutes of till stiff peaks form
- Beat egg yolks at high speed of electric mixer about 5 minutes or till thick and lemon-colored
- Fold egg yolks into egg whites
- In a 10-inch skillet with an oven proof handle heat the butter till a drop of water sizzles
- Pour in egg mixture, mounding it slightly higher at the sides
- Cook over low heat, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or till eggs are puffed and set, and bottom is golden brown
- Place skillet in a 325 degree oven; bake for 10 minutes or till knife inserted near center comes out clean
- Loosen sides of omelet with a spatula. Make a shallow cut across the omelet, cutting slightly off-center
- Fold smaller portion over larger portion. Slip omelet onto hot serving platter.
- Set aside 1/2 a cup of the apple mixture. Unfold omelet and spoon remaining apple mixture across center; re-fold. Spoon remaining mixture on top.
- Serves 3 to 4